We gathered our favourite Christmas traditions and some of the amazing businesses that carry our bars year round to inspire the 2016 advent calendar. Before you start popping the windows open we thought we'd give you a tour of what inspired us.
1. St. Albert – markets, boutique shops, and where we filled our teen years.
2. Fill an evening with a Christmas classic! Zoominescence brings together lights and creativity at the Edmonton Valley Zoo to celebrate the spirit of Edmonton. If tutus, magic, and sugar plum fairies are more your style the Alberta Ballet will be bringing The Nutcracker back to Edmonton December 8 - 11.
3. Warm up at the cozy Barking Buffalo Cafe (serving hot chocolate by yours truly!) before taking a stroll down 124 Street to see the festive lights.
4. The Highlevel Bridge. It's an Edmonton icon any season, but the frosted river valley helps the lights glow even brighter.
5. Explore the Ice Castle down at Hawrelak park, back for their second year!
6. The CP Holiday Train will be coming through Edmonton on December 8, which is why we gave you a few extra days to prepare your donation for the Edmonton Food Bank to help families in need.
7. There's no shortage of music in Edmonton, start a new tradition by finding a few carols to sing along to.
8. The Holiday Express at the Muttart Conservatory – poinsettias and trains galore!
9. Tighten those laces and get out on the ice to enjoy a true Canadian past time.
10. Skating not your thing? On the opposite side of the city we've got slopes and powder ready to carve!
11. City Hall – Need another chocolate fix? We're at City Market throughout December.
12. Halfway to Christmas! Have you explored something new in your own neighborhood?
13. Candy Cane Lane – It's a tradition dating back more than 40 years! Starting December 9th the community of Crestwood will flick the switch and help raise donations for the Edmonton Food Bank.
14. Whyte Ave – Whether you're visiting the shops (like The Wish List Gifts) or having a bite at some of our favourites (Next Act Pub or The Almanac), there's something for everyone.
15. Visiting the Edmonton Public Library – find an old classic or a new adventure to curl up with over the holidays.
16. A classic winter activity, tobogganing!!
17. Looking for more winter fun? Check out this amazing guide from Winter City Edmonton.
18. The holidays are a great time to give back to our community and help those in need. If you’re thinking of making a donation this year we’d encourage you to consider charities like YESS or Adopt a Teen. Both focus on making sure that Edmonton’s youth have support and services to have a Merry Christmas.
19. Take a sleigh ride back in time at Fort Edmonton Park!
20. Wander through Borden Park on your way to pick-up gifts at Sabrina Butterfly Designs.
21. Heading to a friends for a cup of holiday cheer? Pick-up a bouquet at SWISH Flowers to wow your host.
22. The Legislature Lights – take a wander through the Legislature grounds and take in the twinkling lights.
23. With Santa nearly here it's a good time to double check the lists to make sure no one is missed.
24. Merry Christmas! Wishing you and yours the very best this holiday season.